It’s that time again...the annual world-wide competition known as the CrossFit Open is here. In advance of last year’s Open, CrossFit Inc. put out a great blog for affiliate owners interested in running the event at their box. It’s full of tips, advice, and best practices. You can find it here.
Some of the big takeaways:
- Have your members sign up for the Open before February 21, 2019 at games.crossfit.com and remind them to submit their scores each week by the deadline. (Mondays at 5pm PST following the workout announcement)
- Print up extra scorecards!
- Review the demo videos that HQ releases of each workout and clearly explain them to your audience.
- Have a sensible plan to assign a judge to each competitor/team during heats to reduce delays. Know which ones need to be scored by registered judges and videotaped.
- Create a competition atmosphere at your box by using tape to designate workout lanes, warm-up space, and spectator areas.
Once announced, all Open workouts will be programmed in Wodify Core, so you can easily add them to your WOD calendar to organize a Friday-Night-Lights style event. (Even if they log into Wodify, registered athletes still need to enter their scores in the Open website!)