Getting people to sign up for CrossFit gym memberships is easy during the beginning of the year, especially after the gluttony of the holiday season. However, after a few months, many people fall out of their workout routines and stop coming to the gym.
While this reality is less than ideal for any business, gyms that understand why members leave can get serious about improving retention. Here are the top three reasons members leave and what you can do to get them back.
1. Members aren’t being held accountable.
- The problem: Many people see going to the gym as a chore. So unless they’re working towards a specific and measurable goal, your members will quit once New Year's resolutions wear off.
- The solution: Implementing gym membership software with performance tracking is a great way to hold athletes accountable, prevent attrition and create a more competitive atmosphere. Giving members a way to view progress over time also increases their investment in success, improving your odds of retaining them in the long term.
2. Members aren’t setting realistic goals.
- The problem: Many people stop working out because they set unrealistic expectations based on what they see on television, in magazines or online. These members might go hard during the workout at first, but without a realistic roadmap, they’re only setting themselves up for disappointment.
- The solution: Meet with members every quarter to practice goal setting. Encourage them to start small and celebrate their successes along the way. Members with realistic goals have a better chance of staying on track, and as long as they stick with their routine, it’s only a matter of time before they see the changes they’d hoped for.
3. Members aren't engaged during the workout.
- The problem: There’s nothing better than spending an afternoon crushing CrossFit WODS. However, some gym members might need variety in their routine to keep them engaged and motivated.
- The solution: Hosting CrossFit competitions, lifestyle challenges and fitness events are great strategies for increasing athlete engagement. Even weekly steps and distance contests keep members motivated to go to the gym! Consider add these events to your retention strategy to increase athlete engagement.
Start retaining members for life!
No CrossFit gym owner likes seeing athletes disappear. But by implementing these strategies with Wodify gym membership software, you can improve your retention rates and keep athletes coming back for life.